The Laundry Pool
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
We're having difficulties with the skin. Bare with us while we figure it out and use the temporary skin.
Id like to congratulate our members on reaching 2,000 posts!!!!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cool fire effect using GIMP

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cool fire effect using GIMP Empty Cool fire effect using GIMP Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Phoenix

Phoenix
Bunny Link
Bunny Link

Hello fellow Gimpers! If your like me, you like to add a little "flare" to your pictures. What a better way to add flair, then with fire! This quick tutorial will show you how to make stand alone fire, along with fire on text. So lets get started!

First thing open up GIMP. For tutorial purposes, we will be working on one layer with no other images or text.
Cool fire effect using GIMP Gimp1

Once you have that, take the bucket tool and fill in the background with black. Then select the brush tool and make it white. I suggest using a medium size brush, but you can always experiment later.
Cool fire effect using GIMP Screenshot1u
Now, create a white line at the near bottom of the canvas. After that draw another line just above the one you just drew. Two or three lines are good, this will determine the "thickness" of your fire.

Something like this will suffice:
Cool fire effect using GIMP Screenshot2bkp

Now come the flames. Select the smudge tool.
Cool fire effect using GIMP Screenshot3xwr

Once the Smudge Tool is selected, start at the middle line (or top if you only did two), and click and stroke upward, creating a sort of flame effect. Do this all across your lines, top to bottom. The more lines, the thicker the flame looks. Once you have the first two (or one) lines smudged upward, work on the line right underneath. At the edges, kind-of smudge outward for a better look.

Cool fire effect using GIMP Screenshot4r
Cool fire effect using GIMP Screenshot5r
Cool fire effect using GIMP Screenshot6x

Great! Now you have your fire. "Oh, but Phoenix, the coloring is dreadful!" Dreadful? Oh, silly! Were not done yet!

Go to Colors > ColorBalance, and a window like this should come up. (Note: Make sure, if your dealing with multiple layers, the layer with the flames are selected. Also, you can get to Colors > ColorBralance trough both right clicking your image, or using the menu strip up top.)

Cool fire effect using GIMP Screenshot7w

Now, in this window, move the sliders to adjust the color of the fire.
Normally, this set up works real nice for a good flame color:

Shadows
Red = 100
Green = 30
Blue = -30

Midtones
Red = 100
Green = 30
Blue = -30

Highlights
Red = 100
Green = 0
Blue = -100

Make sure you have "preview" and "Preserve Luminosity" checked (located right under the sliders, above the help button), or else you won't be-able to see your image/ your image will not turn out like mines.

When you done, it should look something like this:

Cool fire effect using GIMP Screenshot8k

And there you have it! If you'd like to do the same with text, just smudge it, and color it. Using more advanced photo edditing skills, you can make fire just about anywhere. Just remember with text, white text on a black background should work the best.

Hoped you enjoyed this tutorial, and learned something from it. Written by Phoenix 7/21/2009 CC

Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Cool fire effect using GIMP Empty Re: Cool fire effect using GIMP Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Phoenix

Phoenix
Bunny Link
Bunny Link

Lemmi know if you guys see anything wrong with it...i'll make changes accordingly. Smile

3Cool fire effect using GIMP Empty Re: Cool fire effect using GIMP Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:38 pm

DaltonR6

DaltonR6
Goron
Goron

Hey, nice tutorial! I never really thought of making fire that way. Ill do it and edit into my post.

http://daltonrouse.blogspot.com

4Cool fire effect using GIMP Empty Re: Cool fire effect using GIMP Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:40 pm

Phoenix

Phoenix
Bunny Link
Bunny Link

Thanks! Its my first one.

If you take your time, you can really make the fire look really nice. Just don't try to control the image too much, if you do it won't look natural.

5Cool fire effect using GIMP Empty Re: Cool fire effect using GIMP Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:57 am

DaltonR6

DaltonR6
Goron
Goron

Hey, you should definantley post this in the GIMP Tutorials and try to make it Official

Cool fire effect using GIMP Flame10

http://daltonrouse.blogspot.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum